Thursday, April 23, 2009

First time with the Annie


I took my Anschutz 1913 out to the indoor range for the first time today. I was anxious to give it a try, so I decided to shoot offhand, even though I assumed I would be terrible. The range near my office is only a 20yd range, so I took out my handy homemade target and went to work. I had a brick of Eley black on hand, so I broke it out and checked the sight picture a little on the bottom 3 sight-in targets. The super-light trigger was awesome and creep-free, but my offhand technique produced some decidedly mediocre results. Without a jacket or any kind of other gear, I had a lot of bobbing around. I also found it difficult to see the grey bullseyes at 20 yards - I guess i will have to darken up the targets for the next try.

I ended up raising my cheekrest from "2" to "4" in order to get a better picture. A lot of my shots were low, but I think that was from a failure to center the front sight in the rear peep properly. I was also surprised how quickly holding that heavy gun in the offhand position made me tired - just enough to add some more shake to my already shaky technique.

The targets I used are the USBR 50yd bench targets, with the corresponding dimensions. I kind of like the setup, so I decided to use it. I would expect to score very well in the 50yd BR, but I will try that this weekend. 1 bullet per target, 25 targets, for a possible 250 score. to score an "X", the 0.1 inch 10 ring must be completely covered by the hole - any part of the circle still visible is only a regular 10, not an "X". This is also a best edge score, meaning a hole that touches a line gets the higher score.

Sounds like this gun will be better than I am for a long time - just the way it should be.