Thursday, March 12, 2009

More .22 pistol


As I continue my practice, I haveused several different targets and methods to assess my progress. Today, I used large 3.5" circles as seen ot the right. I show 1 roundat each of the first 5 numbered targets (in order). moving through them aswell as I was able. At target 6, I shot 4 mags (40 rounds) without moving, so I could get some idea of the difference that the moving caused.

Groups for the 6 targets:
1 - 5.17
2 - 3.25
3 - 3.33
4 - 2.92
5 - 3.92
6 - 2.25 (Non-moving baseline)

The targets and measurements can be found here.

Target 1 is obviously the worst. This is because I tried to get very agressive in speeding up my time off the rail to target 1. Many of the lower right misses are a result of this. Target 2, while being poorly centered, actually shows decent grouping - I assume that my attempt to increase my speed is partially responsible for this as well.

Targets 3 and 4 look quite good to me. I guess once I get in my "groove", the speeding up doesn't hurt me as much. Target 5 has a slightly lower group center than the others, but is also reasonable.


Looking at all the groupings, I appear to be 1/2" right and 1/2" to 3/4"low. The static target 6 shows this the best. I believe that this is due to over-squeezing the trigger in my left-handed grip. Most miss diagrams show this as being low and left, but that is for right-handed shooters - mine would be just the opposite.

My C-More red dot is extremely sensitive to adjustment. Attempting to get it tuned in to with 1/2" will require some sort of shooting block. As the next pin shoot is this sunday, I think I will simply aim 1/2" high and left to compensate for this difference.

Hopefully that works well enough.