---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have spent some time trying to figure out a way to practice long range shooting with my 700P. A lack of ranges with this capability has led me into practice with my CZ .22lr instead. When I started this, I wanted to try to determine equivelent ranging - that is, what range in .308 coorelates to 100 or 200 yards in .22lr in terms of trajectory and skew.
I used generic range card info for 168 HPBT .308 and 36 standard .22lr., then manipulated the info so that they were in comparable units.
After the chart was generated, I looked for equivelence in MOA drop and mils of skew. I found that the trajectory of a .22lr at 200 yards is almost the same as a .308 at 850 yards. likewise, the skew was within .02 mils/mph as well. For the .22lr at 100 yards, the equivalent trajectory seemed to occur around 400 yards. I know that my CZ has more drop at 100 yards than the ballistics info would indicate - almost 10MOA instead of the 7.5 indicated. This is more representative of 450 yards for the .308, especially since the skew matches up much better as well at 450. The results are highlighted in the above chart.
A graphical represntation of the data shows much the same thing.
I used generic range card info for 168 HPBT .308 and 36 standard .22lr., then manipulated the info so that they were in comparable units.
After the chart was generated, I looked for equivelence in MOA drop and mils of skew. I found that the trajectory of a .22lr at 200 yards is almost the same as a .308 at 850 yards. likewise, the skew was within .02 mils/mph as well. For the .22lr at 100 yards, the equivalent trajectory seemed to occur around 400 yards. I know that my CZ has more drop at 100 yards than the ballistics info would indicate - almost 10MOA instead of the 7.5 indicated. This is more representative of 450 yards for the .308, especially since the skew matches up much better as well at 450. The results are highlighted in the above chart.
A graphical represntation of the data shows much the same thing.
The trajectory plots show the corresponding yardages for a 27.5 MOA drop. The .22lr is almost exactly 200 yards, while the.308 falls almost exactly at 850.
I am going to do some practicing with my CZ at 200 yards this summer. Then, if I ever find a place to do it, I will take my 700P out to 850 and test this hypothesis. Hopefully, I am pretty close.