Sunday, August 24, 2008

Varmit Shoot

I broke out the CZ for a rimfire varmit shoot at Multi-Lakes recently. The match consists of 6 "varmit" targets, each representing a different animal. The targets range in size from about 3" to 8", with a ringed 10 point scoring system, with about a 3/4" X. 5 shots at each of the 6 targets yields a possible score of 300. Rimfire shoots at 100 meters, and centerfire at 200. Support is allowed at the fore-end, but the rear must be free-floating, shot in the prone position.

My first go at it was average at best. I took my shooting rest, and used my fist at the rear. My first few shots were pretty bad, but after I got the feel of it, I did OK. I ended up with a score of 216, but my first target accounted for almost half of the points I lost. After watching the other guys, it became apparent that a Caldwell tack driver bag gives one a decided advantage, because it supports the entire gun at the fore-end and does not allow the butt to move freely. A little bit of adjustment leaves the gun essentially bagged in tight, allowing the shooter to eliminate that part of the variability.

When I go again, I will have a Caldwell bag.