I took my Anschutz out for my first varmit shoot of the year. It was a little windy, with a 10-15 mph variable wind out of the N / NW (Range faces due north). This meant that the wind was both in my face and coming from my left at about 30 degrees. I used about 20 sighters before the match started to find the 100m prone zero and to click over for the wind. I hung my targets in the following order:
1. bullseye - 45
2. small groundhog - 50
3. Bark the squirrel - 30
4. crow - 49
5. large groundhog - 50
6. medium groundhog - 50
All the targets were vertical except Bark and teh crow (printed and hung longitudinally). My score of 274 was good enough for 2nd (1st?).
My first target (the bull) was partially obscured by the 50m lane number - I could only see the top half of the circle and had to fly my shots over the vertical number post. Not sure this accounted for the 45 I took, but thats my excuse...)
The erratic wind got me a little bit, as you can tell from the vertical stringing. The crow was especially obvious - the 1 shot off to the side was a return shot after I realized I had only put 4 rounds into that target. Bark the squirrel was a little disappointing. I must have been shooting him during a relative calm, since shots 1 and 4 sailed just over his head. I aimed lower for the 5th shot and put it right in the middle.
Overall, I think I dealt with this particular wind pretty well, allowing the vertical stringing (especially on the bigger groundhogs) without affecting my score. The 2 misses on Bark is pretty annoying, but not overly terrible. I think I can shoot 290 with a better performance on Bark and a better placement of my bullseye target.